Ching-Chou Kuik's challenge this month has an "under the sea" theme. I knew that I didn't have any of her mermaid digis, so looked through those I do have to see if one of them could be used in an underwater scene. I settled upon the amazing "Dandelion Fairy Kingdom" [find it ] thinking that the fairy resembled a pretty mermaid… or could become one if I placed her underwater. I printed the image onto white cardstock. I trimmed the image to easily fit onto an A2 card, then laid it atop a postcard sized piece of underwater scrapbook paper. Using a few light blue and grey Spectrum Noir markers, I sketched "waves" across the background of Ching-Chou Kuik's image and then went over them a few times with a blender marker to soften them. Next, I made a mask for the fairy from a vellum scrap and attached it with a few strips of removable Tombow adhesive. I sponged several shades of blue across the background, following the flow of the waves. Taking off the mask, I colored the fairy/mermaid and assorted flowers and plants with Spectrum Noir markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen. I then created the look of "bubbles" by touching the tip of the light blue, aqua and lavender markers, plus the blender pen, gently rising to the surface in the background. [You can see these in the close-up photo.] The final touches were to add a dot of white gel pen to each "bubble" and also her pearl necklace and assorted plants. I created the porthole with circle dies, small punch and silver brads. Before taping the porthole to the front of the card, I taped a scrap of acetate over the circle cut into the front of the card and then attached the porthole with foam tape. The sentiment on the front of the card is from a Bugaboo digi set named "Under the Sea." The anchor on the inside is from my scrapbook stash and the sentiment is a freebie from LoveSVG. [I signed up for their newsletter and get notices of freebies on a regular basis. Not sure if this is still available, but you can search their mermaid/sea freebie options HERE.] An entering this card into several challenges including Bugaboo Stamps, "Fairy Tale/Fantasy" [with my fairy turned mermaid creation], Outlawz Saturday Challenge "Fish or Owls" [a mermaid is kind-of a fish, right?], and Outlawz Tuesday Color Challenge [my card holds many of the pretty pastel colors as in the ballerina's tutu.]
- Under the Sea
- Under the Sea
- Tuesday Color Challenge
Week 23-Anything Goes
- Fairy Tale/Fantasy
- Saturday Fish or Owls
The free image for the Cute As A Bug June Progressive Challenge on FB is this beautiful image named “Angelica- The Bride of Christ." As soon as I saw it I knew that I wanted to create a wedding shower card that features this image and a favorite scripture verse that I often write in cards for wedding showers. I colored the image with Spectrum Noir markers, Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen, and fine line brown and tan watercolor markers [to add stray hears on her pretty head.] I wanted the card to have an elegant look so pulled out some of my favorite papers and brushed metallic cardstock in copper and rich purple [you can't see the purple coloring of the outer frame. It is really pretty. The sentiments are computer generated.
-#45 Anything Goes
-FB Progressive Freebie Challenge #25, Angelica The Bride o Christ
- #Anything Goes
- Festive Fridays
Two of my favorite challenges that I discovered shortly after starting my blog are Double D's and Pixie's Snippets. The sponsors of each are both so friendly and affirming, plus their challenges always get my "little grey cells" jumping [if you're an Agatha Christie fan, you'll recognize HerculePoirot's influence in that last statement.] This card features roses [for the Double D challenge] and scraps of kraft paper cut into strips and woven into a basket [for Pixies Snippets challenge.] The roses were stamped with an old Embossing Arts wood mount. After coloring them with Tombow Markers, I fussy-cut them from the larger image. I then cut the basket pieces from kraft brown paper [or use an old grocery bag]: one basket base [2¾ x 2½ inches] and 14 strips strips to weave [each 3½ inches long and ¼ inch wide.] I taped 7 of the strips along the top and bottom of the basket base, then wove the other strips through them, taping the ends to the back of the base when finished. I then arranged the roses in the top of the "basket' and taped them in place. After attaching the finished basket of roses to the front of the card, I clipped the corners with a decorative scissors. I haven't added a greeting as I don't know how I'll use the card yet… but can easily add one later.
- Rose Garden [photo]-Week #354