Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fall to Winter

Made a spooky Halloween card to enter several challenges. This one was all cut by hand. A free printable cat silhouette on the web was my inspiration. (You can find it here davelowe.blogspot.com/2013/09/witchcrafty-window-silhouette-printables.html) Sketched it on black cardstock and fussy cut it. Used an exacto knife for the nose and eyes (which are larger than the original due to an oops during cutting!) Taped a very small slip of pink paper behind the nose to peek out. Used a circle stencil to trace the moon. Attached the cat cutout so that the yellow moon shines through the eyes. Left the front free of a sentiment. The inside reads, "Have a howling good Halloween!" 
Entered into: 
Simon Says Monday Challenge- Walk on the Dark Side (simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge)
Deep Ocean Challenge- Colors of Autumn                         (deepoceanchallengeblog.blogspot.com.au)
Cute Card Thursday- Trick or Treat                                     (cutecardthursday.blogspot.com) 
Double D’s Challenge- Fright Night                                     (daranddiane.blogspot.com)
Artistic Inspirations Challenge-Challenge 186                  (artisticinspirationschallenges.blogspot.com.au)

My final entry in the current NBUS, or "never before used schtuff" features a sentiment strap (my name for it!) that is from a scrapbook packet of goodies that I've had since 2007. (I know that date since I'd purchased a packet of four of these little straps just before we moved to Wisconsin. I hadn't used them because they had a very strong plastic smell. It only took a decade for that smell to dissipate!) The NBUS takes front and center, or actually left and upper, in this simple card that I'm entering into a few other challenges. I cut a circle from red vellum to add the "reflection" behind the bulb. 
Note- I had first put the bulb and red reflection directly onto the evergreen paper, but it  looked too busy to me. So, I added a layer of vellum, and it nicely muted the evergreen. The vellum also turned this into a CAS design, or at least I hope it does. To me, the vellum provides a nearly solid color background that doesn't overwhelm the simple elements of the card. (I did lay the card on top of the evergreen paper so you could see the difference on the vellum topped print.) 

Entered into: 
Darnells' NBUS Challenge- Anything Goes   (Add logo)      (djkardkreations.com)                  
AAA Card Challenges- Sketch   (Add logo)                             (aaacards.blogspot.com/)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge- Anything Goes     (craftyhazelnutschristmaschallenge.blogspot.co.uk)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Patterned Paper Challenge                        (craftyhazelnutspatternedpaper.blogspot.com)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge2- Extra for Oct      (craftyhazelnutschristmaschallenge2)

8 comments:

  1. Great card and I think the vellum was a clever idea to mute the background. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Kathy! I love the cat, he is absolutely AWESOME!! I would love this made into a die!! the vellum background is perfect too :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I just checked and added the site where I found the great cat silhouette. The artist has other great options, too. So you might want to check them out!

      Delete
  3. OMG that is one 'not too happy' cat! LOL Awesome job of fussy cutting ... looks really cool! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Fright Night’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative take on the sketch! Love the vellum. Thanks for joining AAA Cards! Hugs Åsa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Halloween cat, Kathy! AND, your Christmas card is fabulous ~ that sentiment strap is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have great design sense, Kathy! I love your single light Christmas bulb card with the strappy sediment, but I agree that without the vellum overlay, it would have been too busy! And can I just say I love your black cat, yellow moon, and pink nose Halloween card, too! Again, amazing design sense!! Thank you so much for playing three times in my NBUS Challenge #12! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Christmas card. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty HazelNuts Christmas challenge extra this month :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!