Wednesday, July 26, 2023

myasperations 7-26-23

Earlier this year I won a challenge and was excited to learn that the prize was a gift card for LeighSBDesigns. I soon learned that artist/owner Leigh Snaith-Brunton is not only talented, she is also kind. I am pretty tech-impaired… or the better title might be tech-surprised since it is always surprising when I DON’T have problems with all things tech! That is what happened when I attempted to shop in Leigh’s Etsy shop. I couldn’t get the gift card to work no matter what I did. Leigh was so very helpful in resolving the issue. So, when I learned that being invited to a Guest DT gig was part of the challenge prize, I quickly said yes! Below is the first of two cards that I had fun creating for Leighs Challenge #119 Christmas in July (You can see this card posted on Leighs blog HERE, and stop by Friday to see the second!) 
     This card features an adorable ATCoin that takes center stage on a fun fold card! I don’t know the name of this specific fold (which I learned many years ago at a stamp store), but I found an on-line tutorial by a friend of mine, Beccy Muir from Beccy’s Place for a Flip Fold card, which is similar (and Beccy’s instructions- link in my supplies listing- are so easy to follow!) A sentiment and several items from my stash finish off the fun card.
     I’m entering this card into several challenges including Park Hopping-My Happy Place (I discovered this challenge several months ago and it has become a favorite of mine as I’ve learned lots about amusement parks. Many I never even knew existed, and I learned a few fun facts about others. The challenge host, Makira, provides a listing of “inspiration” to help learn more about Amusement Parks around the globe. That is where I learned about “The Cats of Disney.” As a grade school student, I remember watching the always sweet and gracious, Walt Disney, walking through the "Disneyland" he had built in far-off California. Even on a B&W TV, it looked both amazing and magical. Little did I know that there were cats that actually got to live there! Thanks to a link that Makira posted, I learned about them… and you can, too!)
 
Supplies: 
·   Digi with attached sentiment- LeighSBDesigns (Meowy Christmas)
·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen
·   A card fold similar to this can be found on Beccy’s Place Blog HERE
·   Cat Paw Print ribbon- JoAnne’s
·   All other items from my stash.

Entered into:  

Show Us Your Pussycats Challenge- Furry Thing Goes (#90 July)  
Park Hopping-My Happy Place (July)    The Cats of Disney
Rudolph Days Challenge- July
{BYSHC} Challenge FB Christmas in July  
Creative Fingers Challenge Blog: ATG #259
Outlawz Challenge- Festive Friday (Christmas)
Outlawz Challenge- July 2023 Linky
 
I love making cards for the Snippets challenge, and the last one I made turned out so well, that I’m using the same technique again, but with two differences. 1) I’m using a pre-colored Christmas image (Rudolph was the free digi for the June Gecko Gals Monthly Christmas Challenge. I don’t think this digi is available anymore, but the July one is a beautiful vintage Santa… which I already snatched up! You can find him HERE), and 2) although it still has a Christmas theme, I’m using less traditional shades of red and green to match the shades on Rudolph. He is so adorable!
Note- Instructions for this technique can be found on my earlier posting HERE. I remembered to take a few photos when I was making this card, thinking they might make it a bit easier to follow the instructions. I saw a card with this type of paper piecing earlier this year, but cannot remember where, so can’t give credit. If anyone recognizes the technique, please let me know! Thanks and I hope you try it, you know… to upcycle and help save the planet!
Supplies: 
·   Colored Digi- June freebie at Gecko Gals Monthly Christmas Challenge. Check out the one for July HERE)
·   Light shading and highlighting added with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and a Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen
·   Front Sentiment- “Ready or not here comes Christmas” from Beccy’s Place Digital set (Here Comes Christmas)
·   Inside Sentiment- “Get your fat pants ready!” from Beccy’s Place Digital set (Grumpy Goose)
·   Clear Self-Stick Laminating Sheet (I use the Avery brand, but there are other options on the web)
·   All other items from my stash.
Entered into:  
Snippets- Week #459
Double D’s Challenge- Christmas in July   
BYSHC 2023 Christmas in July Linky Party 
Beccy’s Place Challenge- July         Since I’m a Contributor for Beccy’s Place, I’m entering just for fun!
 
This card was created for the Butterfly Challenge, one of my favs! Mrs. A, the sponsor, offered several changes for the summer. We can use any colors, folds, etc. that we desire as long as we feature at least one butterfly.  This time there is a them, “Flowers”. The scripture card is from my stash, and it includes flowers. So I got to work, coloring it with a new set of pens that cover an image like thick enamel (think nail polish!) I love the bold and bright colors, especially when highlighted with a bit of white gel pen. The little butterfly is also from my stash. Actually, a whole bunch of them come from my mom’s stash, which I inherited about 12 years ago. So… these pretty butterflies, which have a bit of a retro feeling,  are probably at least 30 years old! I left the inside of the card blank, so that it can be sent for any reason.
Supplies: 
·   Digi- Scripture tag from my stash
·   Colored with Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Pens and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen
·   Lime green fabric butterflies, and cardstock from my stash.
Entered into:  
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #605-606 Anything Goes   
Paper Funday- #55 Anything Goes     

16 comments:

  1. Great cards! The cat is so cute, and I really love that patchwork look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitty is so cute and love how you created the reindeer card. Thanks for joining us at BYSHC Christmas in July 2023 Linky Party.
    Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the cards in this post are lovely and all so different.

    Thanks for entering the second card as homework for the Snippets Playground. Lots of snippets used up. It’s a great technique. See you on the swings later xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful cards especially that gorgeous cat in the first. Thanks for joining the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulously fun and creative cards!!
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Double D}
    {Triple B}
    {Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    These cards are wonderful and such very clever designs.
    Such lovely snippets of papers used and the images are so fab.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well aren't you a busy Gal? What amazing cards you have for us today, with lots of interesting facts too. Congratulations on your GDT. Well deserved. I didn't know about the cats! Your cards are colourful and wonderfully designed. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Rudolph digi is the BEST!! I love the cards you made with him! Thanks for adding your cards to the {BYSHC} Christmas in July Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love every single card - great work!

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute reindeer card, Kathy! Love the quilt paper pattern! Thanks for playing along with the Christmas in July 2023 {BYSHC} Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic cards Kathy, the combination of colours and patterns is wonderful. The two Christmas cards are great fun, I especially like that cute reindeer with his multi-coloured coat. The bold colouring on your final card is amazing, and I agree that the white highlights make them pop even more. Wonderful!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome cards Kathy, I love all the images, colors and interesting details. Thanks for supporting our challenge at The Paper Funday!
    Donna xx
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
    Paper Funday Challenge
    Inspiration Station Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many wonderful cards! Love the kitty and the cute paw print ribbon. And the look on reindeer's face is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cat themed Christmas card made me smile! Great card.
    Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.
    Maureen aka Scrappymo

    ReplyDelete
  15. its wonderful card!
    Thank you for playing at SUYP/Cats only challenge
     Hope to see you again! Good luck!
     Fiki  
    my blog: Bad Kitty's Craft Room  

    ReplyDelete
  16. All such pretty cards. Love the mandala look of the butterfly entry. Thankyou for coming and playing along with me. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!