Monday, October 19, 2020

October Twofer Challenge

One of my favorite monthly challenges, because it really is a challenge, is called the "Twofer Card Challenge." It requires the use of the exact same stamp or die to make two cards with distinctly different designs for two different occasions. The October Challenge is named "Silhouettes."  I have lots of silhouette images but all are digital. So… I turned to my slowly growing collection of dies and decided to use a beautiful snowflake die that I purchased at a very special sale.  (* A stamper friend who served with me on a Design Team had to move into a memory care unit several months ago. Her grandson and his wife set up a website to liquidate Sherri’s large collection of well over 1000 stamps and dies at 70-90% off! I just checked the site and there are now just 125 items left, and all are marked down to just $1 even though some are worth $20, $30, and even $50! So you might want to check out  The Crafters Estate soon to add some gems to your collection AND to help the family of a fellow stamper! If you visit, click the “all products” link to find the items that are still available.)
 
Since this is the first time I've used this die, I'm also excited to enter my cards into the NMBS Challenge. So fun! 
Supplies: 
·   Snowflake Die- Simon Says Stamps (Eliza Snowflake Wafer Die)
Entered into: 
Twofer Card Challenge- #32 Silhouettes                                       
NBUS (Never Before Used Schtuff!)-  Challenge #19                  
 
My first card is a Christmas card. I created a background by using clear embossing ink and clear embossing powder plus my large collection of wood and clear-mount snowflakes to decorate a navy card base.  (I'm not sure why but the clear embossing is lifting a bit... which I didn't notice until I took the pics. I just bought new clear EP, so maybe my clear embossing pad is too old? Or the flakes need another blast from the heat gun. I'll need to do some experimenting.) The Eliza snowflake plus alphabet templates helped to spell out the JOY. An upcycled inside sentiment and assorted small die-cut snowflakes finish the card.
 
Supplies: 
·   Snowflake Stamps- Assorted wood and clear stamps from my stash plus Hampton Art Stamp & Die Set Snowflake ~Joy Peace Love
·   Alphabet templates from my scrapbook stash
·   Snowflakes- Cheery Lynn Designs Die (C146 Snowflakes)
·   Glossy Accents- used to attach Eliza snowflake to card
·   Inside Sentiment is upcycled from a Christmas card
·   Blue parchment cardstock, navy cardstock and clear photo corners from my stash
Entered into: 
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge- #512 Anything Goes
Do-Al[l] Kreatives #46 Creative Background
Outlawz Challenge- Festive Fridays                                                
Outlawz Challenge- Inlinks Challenge

My second card is a “You are special” CAS. I adhered an Eliza snowflake to the front of the card with what I though was a small amount of Glossy Accents. However, when dry, I discovered my work was really messy. In an attempt to salvage my card, I used a sponge and grey ink to lightly dab over my oopsies. I then used Glossy Accents, this time with a much lighter touch,  to attach another Eliza snowflake atop the first. It worked! The shading, plus a bit of Stickles bling, even helped the snowflake pop off the background a bit. Computer generated sentiments and a flurry of die-cut snowflakes complete the card.
Supplies: 
·   Snowflake Die- Simon Says Stamps (Eliza Snowflake Wafer Die)
·   Glossy Accents- used to attach Eliza snowflake to the card

·   Stickles- Star Dust 

·   Sentiments are computer-generated
·   Snowflakes- Cheery Lynn Designs Die (C146 Snowflakes)
Entered into: 
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #460-461 Anything Goes                    
Stamplorations- Oct CAS: Anything Goes                             
Cute As A Button- OCTOBER: CH #61 Anything Goes
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends- #144 Anything Goes

13 comments:

  1. Great cards for the challenges! And Yes, I consider it a real challenge. I haven't entered too many becasuse. I find myself making one card and then get stuck on the second on. But it is a great challenge for helping you use your products. Speaking of products...I checked out that website...Wow! It must have been so difficult for her to have to let go of those beautiful dies, etc. And yes, I see dies that I paid more than 20.00 for that are now $1.00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy your cards are gorgeous. That is a beautiful die you have used. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful die-cut snowflake and both great cards
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful collection of cards! I love two-fers! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!
    Hugs, Joy
    JoyWilsonInk
    Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip on the estate sale, Kathy. I think I followed the link once before and I think it's wonderful that they are getting such a great response. I do wish they could remove the sold out ones, however! Who me? Impatient? You've made two wonderful schparkly snowflake cards with that big beautiful die! Love the colored card bases and, of course, the inside detail. That second card has a beautiful verse of encouragement! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #32 and for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Keep safe. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting us know about "The Crafter's Estate," as it's so touching, and so wonderful of her grandson to help give those stamping supplies new homes. Onto your Twofer...That SSS snowflake die is my all-time favorite snowflake! I was with some crafty friends several years ago, and one of the girls had it, so I think I might have ordered it before we left the house! Your cards are quite lovely. I like the way you've highlighted that beautiful snowflake on each card, and I especially like it against the navy background. Thank you for joining us at The Twofer Challenge. Stay safe. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, I always thought I would try this challenge but have never taken the plunge. Love what you did with the snowflake. Beautifully designed cards. Thanks for the comment on my pizza card. My son loves pizza and I'm sure he eats it quite often. If you haven't been to the Imagine That blog recently, Kris is beginning a new progressive challenge on November 1st and you can sign up now to get the new set by the beginning of the month. She said it isn't a set that's in the store so I'm excited to see what she's come up with. Hope you can join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks for the heads up about Kris's progressive challenge. I was one of her DTs for a while and loved working with her. So... I'll check that out!

      Delete
  8. Great card.
    Thanks for joining us at the DAK Challenge.
    Greetings Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading that your friend's crafting supplies are finding good homes through The Crafter's Estate Kathy! Your twofers are lovely and I'm so impressed at your 'save' on the second one - I'm loving the shadow at the back and the beautiful dimension it gives. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the gorgeous snowflake! Thank you for playing along with the STAMPlorations CAS Challenge. We hope to see you back again soon! Karola, DT, InvisiblePinkCards

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice creation...

    Thanks for playing along with our Do-Al(l) Kreatives Challenge and good luck!

    Hugs and please come back soon!
    Doris
    Kleido’s BastelStüble
    *Owner* Do-Al(l) Kreatives
    *List Manager* Challenges for Days
    *GDT* Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple but beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge. Hope to see you again!
    Merja DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!