Tuesday, September 10, 2024

myasperations 9-10-24

     This weeks Wednesday Challenge at  Simon Says honors “Stamptember” by requiring the use of rubber or clear stamps.  I used a wood-mount rubber stamp, named Large Hermit Crab, that I’ve had in my stash since the late ‘90s. (Sadly, the owner of the company, Biblical Impressions, is currently looking for a new “home.” I hope they find one soon as their stamps are high quality!) I stamped this image onto a scrap of kraft brown cardstock, added some color, shading, and white highlights. After a bit of fuss-cutting, the crab takes center stage on a little slice of ocean/beach created with strips of several shades of blue and tan cardstock from my scrap box.  After putting the little scene together and adhering it to the card front, I attached the crab with foam tape (to add some depth) then used a fine-line black marker to sketch in his antennae.
     Here is a bit of history about my love of hermit crabs- In the late ‘70s, my oldest brother joined the Navy to serve as a Seabee. He wanted to visit places he’d probably never have a chance to see again, and so ended up being stationed first in the Antarctic and then in the middle of the Indian Ocean. A few decades later when talking about his time in the “tropics” he laughed when he told us how sunning on the beach was an adventure because hundreds of hermit crabs would quickly cover anything in their way across the sand… including people! His story reminded me of the one hermit crab I’d ever “met”. His name was “Rock” and he was the favorite pet in a childcare center where I spent many fun hours when working toward a child development degree.  My brother was surprised to learn that the preferred treat of hermit crabs is not just suntan oil… but also peanut butter!)
       I’m entering this card into several challenges including Snippets (I love how this challenge encourages me to use up paper scraps),  Paper Funday: Make Your Own Background (torn paper scraps helped create the look of sky, ocean and beach), and Park Hopping-My Happy Place (I did some web research and actually found a handcrafted “theme park” for hermit crabs! Check it out Here. I especially like the third photo that shows one of the little cuties climbing up one of the “rides”!)
Supplies: 

·   Crab Image-Biblical Impressions Rubber Stamps (Large Hermit Crab) Stamp line is currently unavailable

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers, Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen and Sharpie fine-line permanent black marker.

·   Sentiments- Computer Generated

·   All other items from my stash.

Entered into:  BI-Hermit Crab-Bday2
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge- Stamp It (in Stamptember) 
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #663-664
Outlawz Challenges- Monday Greeting Challenge (Happy Birthday)

Snippets- Week #488

Park Hopping-My Happy Place (Sept)   CrAbByLaNd The first theme park for crabs! 
Paper Funday- #69 Anything Goes  (Optional Twist: Make Your Own Background)

      This is the time of the year that I miss living in a state where sunflower crops abound. I used to love seeing all their bright “faces” following the sun as it moved across the sky. They are almost magical to see when in full bloom as they can grow pretty tall. And, of course, they produce sunflower seeds, which are a yummy, salty/crunchy treat! 
     A few years ago, I learned that the sunflower is the national flower of Ukraine, when Marcella Hawley, the owner/artist of the Power Poppy, created a beautiful digital image that she sold as a fundraiser to help the citizens of Ukraine. She also offered a handful of other sunflowers digis, inviting us to make cards with them as a sign of our support for war-torn Ukraine! (Note- One of the freebies “Sending Warm Hugs” is still available HERE.)
     I printed a Power Poppy digi and sentiment on white cardstock, colored, then fussy cut the pair. I wanted to showcase the flowers, so I adhered them to a Teepee Fold card base. After deciding the card needed a bit of life, I added a lone bee that hovers over the bouquet with the help of a thin strip of acetate. Easy Peasy!
      I’m entering this card into several challenges including Path Of Positivity-Power of Words (the quote that inspired my card is “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller)
 
Supplies: 

·   Digi and Sentiment- Power Poppy digi set (Bring Home Some Sunflowers)

·   Wood mount Bee stamp from Hero Arts (in my stash since the 90’s!)

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen

·   Teepee Card Instructions- Youtube Video HERE, Tutorial HERE

·   Strip of acetate, cardstock, patterned paper, and other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
Double D’s Challenge- Sunflowers  
Cupcake Inspirations- #601 Theme Challenge- Buggy for Bugs     
Path Of Positivity Challenge- Challenge #123 (Power of Words: Strength/Courage 
Allsorts Challenge- Week 797- Autumn Colors  (Option AG)
Di’s Digi Stamps- Fancy Folds
We Love Stamping- Hand Colored  

      I wanted to make a rainbow-themed card for the current Colorful Options Challenge, and when searching Pinterest for something unusual, I stumbled upon a few rainbow feathers that inspired me. I dug through my stamps and digis and found a feather set and a few sentiments (all from Beccy’s Place) that worked beautifully together. I opted for a soft almost watercolor look, and I really like the results!

Supplies: 

·   Digi from a Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Feather Set) (Retired)

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen

·   Background watercolor paper- Hobby Lobby

·   Front Sentiment “Dear Friend” from a Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Card Panels)

·   Inside Sentiment from a Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Button Collector) (Retired)

·   All other items from my stash.
Entered into:  BP feather
Time Out Challenge- #271 Friendship/Encouragement/Support   
Colorful Options Monthly Challenge: Sept: Be Bold  (optional rainbow)      
Outlawz Twisted Thursday Challenge- Anything Goes
Beccy’s Place Challenge- Sept   Since I’m a Contributor for Beccy’s Place, I’m entering just for fun! 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely group of cards, Kathy. Your crab and beach scene are fabulous! I love the Power Poppy sunflowers on the Teepee fold. I have not tried this card fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sunflower cards, lovely sentiment and brilliant shape.
    Thank you for sharing at We Love Stamping;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground with the fun crab card. See you in the swings x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think CrAbByLaNd should be part of Halloween Horror Nights (I do not care for hermit crabs..EEEK!!! - LOL!). An another note, your card is fantastic! Love the layout of the card & your sentiment is a perfect choice. TY for playing with us at Park Hopping My Happy Place. Stay dry & safe.
    Cheers, 🎨 🌈🎢✨ Makira
    https://parkhoppingmyhappyplace.com/
    https://colorfuloptions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic cards Kathy! I particularly like the pyramid card you created, it's a beauty! The hermit crab image is very cute and I got a chuckle from the sentiment you added. Love the multi-coloured feather on your final card too. Fabulous work!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous selection of cards, each one totally different. Thank you for joining us at We Love Stamping with your sunflower card. Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super shaped Sunflower creation for Allsorts and We Love Stamping challenges, lovely to see you again, thank you.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards Kathy! LOVE that sunflower design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power, Love Those Pretty Papers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great design on this lovely sunflower card! So fun with the buzzing bee! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful array of cards. Your sunflower one for Allsorts is lovely and a great fold too. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Power Poppy sunflower bouquet and it's especially nice in the larger digi size. You've colored it up beautifully, Kathy! Thank you for sharing with us at Double D!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing cards. I LOVE that sunflower card with the little bee. Great design. Thank you for playing with us this week at Cupcake Inspirations Challenge.

    Nora
    DT Member
    Cupcake Inspirations Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a lovely card. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, gorgeous cards! The crab is one of the rare images that looks so lifelike! Thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at The Paper Funday Challenge and best of luck in the draw!
    Donna xx
    Paper Funday Challenges
    Inspiration Station Challenge
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to put the be on acetate - so clever!

    Thanks for joining us at the Cupcake Inspirations Challenge.

    Helen x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. What gorgeous cards! The bee on the acetate is awesome! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake Inspiration Challenge this week xoxoxo

    Lori
    DT Member
    Cupcake Inspirations Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely cards Kathy - and I do love your hermit crab snippets card, so cute!

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your rainbow feather and the card the grew from it. Thanks so much for joining us at Time Out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a gorgeous shaped card and a really lovely sunflower. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at We Love Stamping.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!