Friday, July 29, 2022

myasperations 7-29-22

Warning- this posting starts with an old lady talking about her recent surgery. The content might be too graphic… no… too boring for some readers. Skip if desired!
Many of you know that I had hip replacement surgery last month I’m doing very well in my recovery, but am a bit concerned that I may unintentionally dislocate my new “bionic” hip!  Case in point: last week the Doctor reminded me that I must NOT bend at the waist past a 90-degree angle as it could cause major issues. His tone of voice increased my awareness of this risk, and now, at least 4-5 times a day, I stop myself before bending too far! He had also added that I should not jump, run or dance…. which all seemed unlikely to me right now when staying upright while walking is a bit of a challenge. I had followed the restriction… until this AM when I had a Tri-fecta Oops!
In my defense, it wasn’t really my fault. A huge furry spider spooked me when he ran across the bathroom counter while I was brushing my teeth. My immediate response was to jump away from him, screaming at the top of my lungs. (It was a big jump… and loud scream… to which my husband can attest.) When the spider leaped to the floor, I grabbed a tissue from a nearby box and proceeded to bend completely to the floor, not once, not twice, but three times until I was able to thwack-smash the ugly critter into a smear on the linoleum.
By the grace of God, I don’t appear to have hurt myself. But as I continue to feel better every day, I am also at increased risk for overdoing it… or in this case, overreaching it!  So I welcome prayers that I will remember to STOP and THINK… before a react. (I really don’t want to explain to the doctor that killing a spider, or picking up a dropped donut for that matter, was the cause of a future dislocation!)

 

Now… on to my cards!
Earlier this year, I stumbled upon a Build Your Stash Holiday Cardmakers group {BYSHC} on FB and just had to join. They offer a monthly sketch challenge, plus host other challenges and events during the year. Here are my three final entrees into their July 2022 Christmas in July Linky Party.
This digi reminds me of my sweet mom, who loved blown-glass ornaments. The card went together pretty quickly, except for some extensive fussy-cutting. And the two sentiments, from the digi set, are a perfect fit!
Supplies: 

·   Digi- Polka Dot Orchard Digi Set (Swinging By With Holiday Cheer

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers, Sakura Gelly Roll white & silver gel pens

·   Front Sentiment- “Merry Christmas” from Polka Dot Orchard Digi Set (Swinging By With Holiday Cheer)

·   Christmas Tree patterned paper- Hobby Lobby

·   Pioneer Clear Photo corners- available from several sources

·   Cardstock, rhinestones, gold cord and other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
Polkadoodles Challenge- Week #31 Anything Goes                      
Papercraft Challenges   Challenge #84 Christmas in July
Rudolph Days Challenge- July

When working on the last cards, I’d printed off a few extra copies of sentiment from the Polka Dot Orchard digi set. The one that mentions “swinging by…” is so fun to pair with this cute image from Di’s Digis. Once again, this card involved some major fussy-cutting (which I find relaxing!) The fringed edge of the scarf hanging off the card was a happy accident. I didn’t realize the digi I printed off was too large for an A2 card front until I started putting all the pieces together. Ack! I knew that I didn’t want to trim that lovely fringe, so I adhered it to the card, allowing the extra portion to stick off the card. It will easily fit into an A4 or A6-sized envelope.
Supplies: 

·   Digi- Dis Digi Stamps (Festive Friends) Appears to be retired

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen

·   Front Sentiment and inside sentiments from Polka Dot Orchard Digi Set (Swinging By With Holiday Cheer)

·   Digi and sentiments are from a Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Gnomes in My Garden)

·   Sentiments- Computer Generated

·   Cardstock, patterned paper, and other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge- #605 AG (optional-add a reindeer)
Gem of a Challenge- Week #16 Anything Goes                              
Jan’s Digi Stamps- July 2022 Anything Goes    

I’m hosting the current Christmas in July Challenge for wecraftcards Forum, with the theme to create a Christmas card using non-traditional colors. I tend to mostly use bright red and green for Christmas, so this was truly a challenge for me. My card was inspired by the strip of sheer pale lavender”ish” ribbon with glittery silver snowflakes. I did a deep cleaning of my paper scrap box seeking shades of pale blue, lavender, silver, and grey that would compliment the ribbon strip. After assembling my card, I thought it looked kind of drab. So I added richness and depth to the holly berries with a few markers in rich mulberry tones. Lastly, I found a large scrap of deep mulberry cardstock, cut it into a circle, adhered it to the card front, and then topped it with the elegant bell and holly image. 
Supplies: 

·   Digi- Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Golden Bell) Also available in cling-mounted (Christmas Bells

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers, Sakura Gelly Roll white & silver gel pens

·   Herringbone background made with Paper Scraps- instructions HERE and HERE

·   Inside Sentiment- Digi- Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Golden Bell) Also available in cling-mounted (Christmas Bells

·   Silver photo corners- available via several web sources (WXJ13 Photo Mounting Corners)

·   Cardstock, sheer Glittery Snowflake Ribbon, and  other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
Wecraftcards- Christmas in July: Non-traditional Color Scheme!
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #553-554 Anything Goes                   
Pixie's Snippets- Week #433 (Christmas in July)
Beccy’s Place Challenge- July   Since I’m a Contributor for Beccy’s Place, I’m entering just for fun!
Crafty Hazelnut’s Patterned Paper Challenge- July

8 comments:

  1. I had similar issues stopping myself from bending too far when I had my own hip surgery - wishing you the best of luck with your recuperation

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... so I have to start by apologising for chuckling at your story. I really tried not to, given the serious consequences you could have faced, but the image of you "dancing around" the bathroom trying to dispatch the poor old spider got me going. Having been in a similar situation, but without the prior surgery, I can certainly understand the panic that fuelled your jumping and triple bend! I'm VERY glad you didn't do yourself a damage.
    Your three Christmas cards are beautiful Kathy, I particularly like the colouring you've done on the second and third one. The muted tones are so elegant. All the images are fabulous and I'm very impressed with your fussy cutting. Love that you do such a great job on the inside of the card as well. Fabulous!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    Oh my I do so hope all goes well with your recovery from yur hip replacement.
    I too hate spiders and would have been jumping all over the place as I onece did when I had a big one on my skirt..
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    I love all your wonderful Christmas creations they all look stunning.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection to add to your stash Kathy and quite a tale about the spider. If it was that big I would have sent my Hubby in to deal with it. thank you for joining the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards Kathy and I do so love your snippets entry. The mulberry really does lift it! When I had my THR my consultant told me that he had a patient who literally years down the line popped his foot up on a park bench and leaned down to retie a loose shoelace. And dislocated his hip in the process. I think that was an extreme example though. Also, I asked my physio how I'd know if it dislocated and his reply was 'You'll be shouting for England, that's how you'll know'. So, your spiders dance isn't anything to worry over - just do your exercises and get those muscles going again!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eek! You only warned us about your "grey old lady talking about her recent surgery" - you never mentioned there was gonna be a murder involved too! LOL!
    I, for one, applaud your spider killing efforts as a dead spider is my favourite kind. Scary little critters! Glad your hip is ok after all the shenanigans! Also glad your recovery is going well.

    Onto your cards - love ALL three (especially the sweet mice), but the bell card is fabulous, and like Di says, the mulberry really lifts it - a perfect design.
    Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground - best stay off the roundabout. Just stay in the sun lounger by the paddling pool and I'll bring you an ice cream cocktail. xxx


    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, a fabulous set of cards for your Christmas stash, love the cute little mice. Down stairs near our winter wood stack is a Huntsman spider, I'm in Australia. It is about 3" across... thank you for sharing with us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends and good luck in the prize draw... Megan DT LPoCF

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous set of cards. I love the one entered in our challenge - she looks like she's having a great time swinging on that bauble! Thanks for joining in our Polkadoodles challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!