Wednesday, May 12, 2021

myasperations 5-12-2021

I have neglected my blog much longer than ever before these last few weeks, but I have a reason. My sweet hubby of 43 years is suffering a rough MS relapse and I’ve been spending as much time with him as possible. At the same time, at my job I’ve just finished three large program reports and a grant audit. So, I haven’t had much time for stamping. I love being a DT for several amazing companies and have usually been able to stay on top of my responsibilities… until today. When I realized that I was going to be late in posting for Penny’s Paper-Crafty Challenge this week, I contacted the challenge coordinators. They were so wonderfully supportive, which encouraged me to put taking care of myself and my family first. (I love those ladies!) So, today I took the afternoon off to spend with my hubby binge-watching several Bruce Willis shoot-‘em up movies (his favs) then I enjoyed  some time in my craft room (my fav.)  It was a heavenly day! I hope you enjoy my post… a bit late!
 
It's time for another challenge at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge Blog where challenges are always Anything Goes and prizes are awarded from one or more sponsors.  Stop by the blog to check it out!
For this challenge, my DT card features an adorable digi from Dr. Digi House of Stamps named “Toby’s Toys.The look on this sweet mutt’s face reminded me of our dogs, especially when we caught them doing something naughty!  So I came up with the idea of making a tri-fold card, with a door on the front that opens onto the scene of Toby and his toys. After coloring and fussy-cutting the sweet pooch, I put my card together.  The bones on the inside flap were made with a punch I’ve had in my stash for at least a decade. This is the first time I’ve used it! The computer-generated sentiments are compliments of my quirky sense of humor.
I’m entering this card into several challenges including Outlawz Home Sweet Home(I believe that pets are one of the things that make a home a HOME!)
Supplies: 
·   Digi- Dr. Digi House of Stamps (Toby’s Toys)
·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen
·   Door- Instructions can be found HERE
·   Sentiments- Computer Generated
·   Paw Print Stickers- Hobby Lobby
·   Bone punch and all other items from my stash.
Entered into:  
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends- #157 Anything Goes
Cute Card Thursday- Challenge #685 Anything Goes
Polkadoodles Challenge- Week #19 AnythingGoes                      
Crafty Hazelnut’s Patterned Paper Challenge- May                        
Di’s Digi Stamps- Handcolored Image
Outlawz Challenge- Saturday Paper Ala Mode- Home Sweet Home
Outlawz Challenge- Inlinks Challenge

I had so much fun creating this shape card. I was inspired by one I saw on Pinterest, sketching the pattern on scrap paper and then tracing it onto real leather from an old purse that I cut up a few years ago. I've had the little gem brads- and sentiment- in my stash for several years. Was fun to put them to use. The logo and tag are both from the web. I found photos of both on real clothing. I know that they are protected by copyright but am hoping I’m not violating any laws since I’m not selling this card (am sending it to my Harley-loving brother who owned a chopper for many years. And maybe my card could be considered as an “advertisement” for this wonderful company? 😊)  
I’m entering this card into several challenges including TIME OUT’s “Move” (I grew up in a Harley family and still believe there is nothing quite as exhilarating as skimming the road on a motorcyle!) and the Path Of Positivity’s “Change Your Environment” (the inside sentiment reflects my view on this task!)
Supplies: 
·   Sentiment- Computer Generated
·   Inside of vest colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and white colored pencil
·   Vest pattern created by moi!
·   Upcycled black leather from an old purse and old map.
·   All other items from my stash.
Entered into:  
The Paper Shelter- #46 Shape Card
TIME OUT Challenge- #187 Move    
Outlawz Challenge- Festive Friday  
Bugaboo Stamps- May Week One Anything Goes  
Createful Heart Designs- Challenge #31 (April)
Let’s Craft and Create- Ch #171
Path Of Positivity Challenge- Challenge #91 (Optional Twist- Change Your Environment)

This final post is special to me… because the cards make me think of my sweet mom for many reasons. First, she was a seamstress and made most of our clothes, plus crafted “Crazy Quilts” from the hundreds of leftover 
fabric scraps. My sisters and I loved examining the finished quilts she made for us because examining them was like a treasure hunt. We’d spot squares of flannel from our winter PJs, pretty cotton florals, and striped chambray from Spring dresses, and light denim from summer capris and shorts. Mom lovingly pieced the scraps together, would then machine sew along the overlapping shapes (so they could survive many, many trips through the laundry.)  She'd outline the shapes with simple embroidery, especially the Blanket, Cretan, Fly, and Herringbone stitches. When I was in middle school Mom taught me how to add embroidery to her quilts which gave me hours of fun.
As an adult, I carried on with making crazy quilts but used heavier/richer-looking fabrics and more elaborate stitching, plus added beads, ribbon, and lace. I made them into small wall hangings and decorated pillows that I sold at craft shows.  I recently discovered partially finished pillow toppers in a storage box and decided to use them on card fronts. After a little experimenting, I came up with the design for a card front that worked beautifully, especially when decorated with paper scraps and a Fiskars Victorian Scroll Edge Scissor. The sentiments are computer-generated.  (I learned some of the stitches from a library book many years ago. You can find all of them, and so many more, on Pinterest. (I have a board with over 250 entries on quilting, mostly crazy quilt squares and stitches. You can see it HERE.)
I’m entering this card into several challenges, the first “Pixies Snippets” requires the use of scraps (paper, fabric, etc.) to create cards or other works of art; two focus on Mother’s Day and/or Flowers; two focus on adding sparkle (one of my cards include scraps of gold edged ribbon and gold beads that both sparkle and shimmer under the right lighting), one has the twist "first letter of Mother's first name." (My mom's name was Rose, and my quilt patches include pretty silk ribbon roses and also sweet little embroidered rosebuds!) Since Rose is the flower for the month of June, these roses also allow me to enter this card into the current Double D Challenge "Flowers of the Month." So fun!
Supplies: 
·   Sentiments- Computer Generated
·   Upcycled scraps of old silk ties, velvet and even upholstery fabric!   
·   Fiskars scissors, cardstock, ribbon, beads, and embroidery floss from my stash.
Entered into:  Crazy quilt Beautiful Friend
Incy Wincy Designs- Mothers Day and/or Flowers
Double D’s Challenge- Flower of the Month (Jan-June) 
Pixie's Snippets-Week #402
Cute As A Button- May: CH #68 Anything Goes
CCC Digi Creations- #125 Add Sparkle or Shine
Dragonfly Dreams- Add Some Sparkle
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #491-492 Anything Goes                   
Outlawz Challenge- Twisted Thursday (Twist- First Letter of Mothers First Name)
               Since I’m a DT for Sheepski (sponsor), I’m entering just for fun

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy all your cards are gorgeous. It sounds like you had a good day. Give my best wishes to your hubby. It must be a very difficult time for you both. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards and each and every one so unique, my son would LOVE the Harley one as he owns 2 as does my brother, what a cleaver idea!! Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card for changing one's environment! Get away from the TV and see the countryside; perfect for our challenge! So happy you shared this wonderful idea with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a creative card! The patchwork design is amazing. Thanks for joining the Double D, "Flower" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow, you were busy!! And these are all so fabulous!! The Harley vest is soooo cool! My father would love it! The Dog card is so fun! The tri-fold is perfect for creating a scene to show off that naughty image!! Love the look on his face. Thanks for playing with Di's Digi Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks like he’s been caught doing something he shouldn’t, for sure. Fun sentiment and the decade old never before used punch came in handy:) Thanks for joining our challenge at Catch the Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love your projects and that motorcycle card is super cool!
    Thank you for joining Catch the Bug
    Hugs from Africa
    OlgaB

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Your cards are all just fabulous Kathy! We all deserve some 'ME' time and of course we need to take care of our men folk also. We ladies are fantastic jugglers lol. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Flower of the Month’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very glad you joined us this week at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge Blog. I hope you had a fantastic time!!! See you back very soon to play in another amazing challenge. :)

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com
    Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab cards Kathy, love that one of the pup caught out! Take good care of yourself and your hubby. SO glad to see you here at Incy Wincy, come again soon. CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card design, totally love it! Hugs Heidi TPS DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Kathy - these are gorgeous! Your Mum would be so proud of you. Mrs A would also love to see these - I'll try to remember to send her the link!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful like always.
    Thank you for participating in The Paper Shelter challenges, good luck and I hope to see you there again soon

    Iza DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous cards. Thanks for sharing with us at CHNPP.
    DT Stacey www.butterflycreations.blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous cards! Thank you for sharing with us over at Cute As A Button. We hope to see you again.
    ~ DT Gale

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful projects. Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Let's Craft and Create.
    Janis, Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely set of fabric cards Kathy. Thank you for entering the Mothers Day and/or Flowers Challenge at Incy Wincy Designs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!