Monday, February 19, 2024

myasperations 2-19-24

    This month’s challenge at  Sheepski Designs  theme is “Anything Goes and my DT card featured a wonderful design from artist Andrea Norris named, appropriately, “Retro Rocket.” A family member loves old sci-fi movies, and I thought he’d love this fun image that reminds me of a few of the classics we’ve watched together over the years.
   I used starry sky and planet-patterned paper. plus a Faux Step Card tutorial that a friend recommended (and love that it is so much easier to create than the regular Step Card!) The rocket took a little time to make, but I love the result. I printed the rocket digi onto white cardstock to create a template, then cut the pieces apart. I wanted the pieces with “rivets” to have a flat silver finish, and was thrilled that a Silver Sharpie Marker provided that. When finished, if needed, I used a fine-line black Sharpie marker to redraw the panel lines and rivets. Then, to make it look like the old rocket had a few dents and scratches from wayward asteroid, I added some "texture" with white and grey colored pencils and love the way that worked! 
   The smooth shiny surface was added to the rocket fins and other silver fittings by covering the cutouts with strips of aluminum foil tape, then trimming it to size. (I stumbled upon this great item in a hardware store, and it sticks much better than the silver washi tapes I’ve tried. You can also add score lines or other scored decorations to it. Versatile and cheap! You can find a link in my supply list.)
   After piecing the rocket sections together with all the pieces, I added tape to the underside to hold it together, I used an old-school (vintage/retro) paper punch that provides a large hole to punch “windows” into the paneled section of the rocket's cone. I then used the punch to punch circles from a strip of aluminum tape. By spacing them about ¼ to ½ inches apart, I had enough space to trim around the “holes” in the aluminum and create silver portal frames! I positioned then adhered the rocket and assorted planets onto the base, then added a bit of sparkle to “Saturns ring” with Stickles. Because space has lots of natural bling, right? The last touch was to add computer-generated sentiments to the back…. and Shazam! Such a fun card! 
Supplies: 

·   Digi- Sheepski Designs (Retro Rocket)

·   Faux Step Card Base- Tutorial can be found HERE.

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers, Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen, white and grey colored pencils, Sharpie Silver Marker and fine-line black marker.

·   Aluminum Foil Duct Tape- search on the web. I found the one that I use HERE.

·   Patterned papers (related to spacy)- Hobby Lobby

·   Scraps of vellum, paper punch and other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
          Since I’m a DT for Sheepski Designs, I’m entering just for fun!
       Since I’m a DT for Sheepski (sponsor), I’m entering just for fun! 
Passion for Markers Challenge- Week #726: Add some Sparkle
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #635-636
   
     I wanted to make a card for the current Simon Says challenge, “Fun with Foil” but I don’t have access to a foiling machine or supplies. I DO have some wonderful foil papers, and a large “diamond ring” embellishment with both gold and silver foil, that I used on this card. So I hope that qualifies?  The sweet little wedding couple is a wood mount stamp that I’ve had in my collection since the 1990s. I cut a slit around the bride's head, shoulder, and arm, then draped and taped a scrap of pretty lace to create a veil. I love the little bit of filmy texture that it adds to the image.  
     I’m entering my card into several challenges including Park Hopping-My Happy Place (This is a favorite challenge… as it has introduced me to many new amusement parks. I made a wedding card for this challenge because I  did a little research and found a few theme parks that include wedding venues, including Disney (three locations) and Carowinds (in beautiful North Carolina)
Supplies: 

·   Bride & Groom Stamp image- (I pulled the rubber from the wood a while ago so am not 

     sure of the company. But I think it is Denami, Posh Impressions, or Printworks.)

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen

·   Diamond Ring embellishment- from a box of wedding announcements I found in the sale aisle at Hobby Lobby last year.

·   Sentiments- computer generated.

·   Entwined pair of silver hearts upcycled from an old card. 
·   All other items from my stash.
Entered into:  
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge-Fun with Foil
Outlawz Challenges- Monday Greeting Challenge- AG (optional: Add some sparkle!)
Park Hopping-My Happy Place (Feb)   
We Love Stamping-Romance  
Paper Funday- #62 Anything Goes    
      Since I’m a DT for Sheepski (one of the sponsors), please don’t include me in the draw for their prize!

     This card features an adorable bear, named Stanley. He is one of the loveable characters from Beccy’s Place. I kept the card fairly simple so that Stanley got the attention that he deserved. Not only is he ready to celebrate Valentine's Day, he is also going into retirement soon (*see details below) so you might want to invite him to your place soon!
     *Beccy Muir, from Beccy’s Place is holding a retirement sale of several digi sets for 50% off. A few of them are favorites of mine so I’ll be posting cards made with them between now and March 31st. Check them out HERE!)


Supplies: 

·   Digi and inside sentiment are from a Beccy’s Place Digi Set (Valentine Stanley)

·   Colored with Spectrum Noir Classique markers and Sakura Gelly Roll white gel pen

·   Front Sentiment “Happy Valentine’s Day”- Hero Arts (retired)

·   All other items from my stash.

Entered into:  
Outlawz Challenge- Festive Friday (Valentine's Day)
Outlawz Challenge- Feb 2024 Linky
Allsorts Challenge- Week 768 AG  (optional-Shades of Pink)
Colorful Options Monthly Challenge:  Feb-Pink  
Beccy’s Place Challenge- Feb 2024  
        Since I’m a Contributor for Beccy’s Place, I’m entering just for fun! 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this Kathy. Great detail on the rocket and the faux step card scene is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards, Kathy. And a very cute and cuddly birthday bear. Thank you for joining the challenge at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really uniquely designed wedding card, will be a real keepsake, many thanks for sharing at Allsorts and We Love Stamping challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. 💛🩶 this! The giant ring is fun! Love your layout! Thank you for playing with us at Park Hopping My Happy Place. 🎨🎢🌟 Cheers, Makira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards! Your Wedding card design is so clever, I may have to "case" that. Thanks for linking up at The Paper Funday Challenge and we look forward to seeing more of your lovely designs soon.
    Donna xx
    Paper Funday Challenge
    Inspiration Station Challenge
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very unique Wedding card, I am sure it will be cherished for years to come. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at We Love Stamping.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a labour of love that rocket card is Kathy, well done! I'm sure it will be hugely appreciated. Thanks for sharing all the little tips and tricks you used to create it, it's always good to know how people achieve certain looks on their cards.
    Love the ring card you created, the perspective is fabulous. The little bride and groom embellishment is very cute.
    And last but not least... your Stanley card is awesome! Love the balloons.
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such wonderful cards, each one so beautifully done with great designs! Thanks so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge this week!
    Ellie
    Ellibelle's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely selection of cards that cute bear is fantastic and totally adorable thank you for joining us at Allsorts
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool rocket card Kathy, you've made a fabulous creation!
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous sparkle-tastic card! Thanks for playing with us at The Outlawz Monday Greetings Challenge! Nan, DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!